Archived Race Reports

Kirkley Hall Big 10 Miler - Sunday 26th November 2017 - Author: Louise Newton

I tend not to write ‘race reviews’, usually I turn up, run the race, check out the photos and the times then move on to something else. However, I felt the need to share my views on this one. 

I’d heard mixed reviews about the organisation of these races but decided I’d give it a go, what could possibly go wrong?

My first issue was the pricing, it was 100% advertised as £18 for UK Athletics numbers but on completing the payment the amount processed was £20. I genuinely wasn’t fussed about £2 but then I started to feel a little uneasy, the website didn’t recognise my email address and I’d had no confirmation of race entry or payment so I sent them a quick message. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a swift response, albeit at about 10pm on a Saturday night to say yes the price was incorrect but it would all be looked into. Good news! 

Race details eventually arrived by email and we turned up on the day. In fairness, parking was fine although there weren’t many signposts but it was quick and painless collecting numbers on the day. The course briefing started to raise some doubts though, “I’ve been out gritting the roads but you need to be careful”, “slippy in places”, “careful for the first four miles” the overall view was that cancelling would’ve been a tough call so really, take your chances. I suppose the option to not run and in fact I can’t argue with the organisers helpful comment when I pointed out the unexpected cost ‘yes I could’ve chosen not to enter at all!’  was there for all of us but we’d got up early and were ready for a chilly run so we continued. The course was run on roads open to traffic and had I been able to keep up with the pack then maybe I’d have felt the safety in numbers but for the slower runners amongst us we were left running on roads with signs advising us to keep left. Icy roads, with traffic coming along behind us…at times felt we really were ‘taking our chances’, some cyclists didn’t leave much room. Yes the roads were quiet, yes it was very pretty and yes the marshals were fantastic and very cheerful considering they’d stood out in the middle of nowhere for hours on end. 
But… my problem with this run is entirely down to the customer service. Despite having queried the cost a week in advance, I was later told quite bluntly that I was wrong, the price had never been advertised as £18 at all. Despite a number of runners slipping all over, the roads had been gritted and there weren’t many cars anyway. To add to the insult to my obviously flawed opinions, my fairly balanced, in my opinion, review expressing disappointment was removed from the event Facebook page while a number of glowing reviews remain for all to see.I’d always say, speak as you find, but honestly I doubt you’ll find any negative reviews linked to these events as mine certainly vanished into thin air! I’d have been happy with an apology over a mistake in the advertised price, people get things wrong all of the time and I’m sure it’s not easy managing races and keeping us runners all happy. There won’t be a next time for me at Run Nation events but if you choose to take part then stay safe!For those that are interested this was my comment that wasn’t allowed:
Feeling disappointed with this morning’s run. Although winter conditions were to be expected the roads were really too slippy given that it was still open to traffic. If any vehicles had skidded on a patch of ice there could've been a serious accident and lots of runners were slipping pretty much through the full course.

Also having previously contacted you with regard to the pricing I was surprised to hear that everyone from our club had been charged £2 more than the advertised price. Another minor niggle, although I understand that technology doesn't always work as planned. I would've expected the results to have been published in full on the same day. Overall, it could've been a great day and the marshals were all amazing giving up their time to stand outside in the cold but instead I feel a bit let down with safety not 100% and profit a priority.

Loch Ness Marathon - 24th September 2017 - Author: Richard Heslop

An epic, fully illustrated account!

Eemnesserpolder run 10.7k - 9th April 2017 - Author: Sandra Duim

Only back 1 day on Dutch soil I decided to do a run without hills. I had been looking forward to run on the flat for a long time, to be precisely, from June 2016 when I joined Striders. So no hills, but Sunday the 9th
of April decided to be the hottest day in my running career, with 22 degrees C. Luckily I was not on my own. My husband Rinke and eldest son Jelle, both getting back from being injured, were going to do the 5k and I was joined on my 10k by Ruud, my friend’s husband. 

The race would start at 1pm, so well in time we arrived in the car park where to our surprise another British car parked alongside us. This turned out to be a fell running family from Cumbria!

There were 3 distances to run, 5, 10 and 15k, all starting at the same time and doing respectively 1, 2 and 3 squares through flat, green polder landscape. Yes, I have to admit it was a bit dull compared to
Northumberland scenery.

After the usual fiddling from my side to get Strava in working order (Jelle taught me to use auto-pause which is brilliant in my opinion), we were lining up for the start. I have to admit I was quite nervous, the wind was picking up a bit (with hind side quite nice because of the temperature), you could see for miles around you (nowhere to hide) and no hills to go down for picking up speed!

Already in our warming up round we noticed the unusual way of being send off at the start. So when the time got to 12.59 we put our fingers in our ears for not getting deaf by the booming sound of the carbid canon. Having struggled through heaps of slower runners, after 1k I could start running in my own pace. Of course my son was well ahead, but Ruud and I were keeping level. Rinke was just a little bit behind us. It was great to hear the young lambs bleating just on the other side of the ditches next to our road. And then there were all the ‘weidevogels’, like lapwings, oystercatchers, godwits and redshanks who seemed to sing to spur us on. 

At the 3k point there was a refreshing sip of water good for the run up to the only little hill at 4k, which was about 10 metres long and 50cm up. This was at the point where you ran up the dike which protected the
old land from the water. So ¾ of the race was in the polder which is below sea level. Here I noticed the benefits of strenuous hill training with Striders because I took over several runners! Soon I reached the place where the start had taken place and cheered on by Jelle, who already had long finished his 5k,
I geared up for another 5k square! At this point we decided that Ruud, who is a faster runner than I am, would run his own race. So I was on my own now. With all the 5k people behind me finished there were only runners for the 10 and 15 k left, really a lot less. I was really feeling the heat with sweat trickling down my face, that was a first in my running career. Having rounded another corner, after the 8k water point, the wind was picking up, which was neither
bad nor good, if you know what I mean! So it was a bit of a struggle coming towards the dike again. Therefor it was a big boost I managed to overtake 2 male runners.Running on top of the dike, with the finish already in sight (no corners or hills to obscure it) my Strava lady told me I had just run 10k in 54.59! Wow, that was a pb! Last 10k, also on the flat in the Netherlands in January was in 57.40ish. But then it was -3 degrees C! It also meant that this run was longer than 10k. Very pleased to reach the finish line after 10.7k (6.6 miles) in about 58.46 seconds according to my Strava lady (I always struggle finding the stop button!), cheered on by Rinke, Jelle, Hilbert (my other son), Ruud and Monique.  However a bit dull, running on the flat with the same grassland view, I still enjoyed it. It’s great running with friends and family, and have a refreshing drink afterwards in the sunshine. Maybe best of all was Jelle, winning 2nd prize at 1 second from the winner!

North Tyneside 10k - 16th April 2017 - Author: Julian Bates

I don’t think I’ve ever been so badly prepared for a race. I’d done next to no training, I hadn’t run the distance since October, I had worn myself out the previous day helping my younger daughter move house, and on the Saturday evening I was all for giving it a miss. By the Sunday morning Iwas feeling a bit more positive but then struggled to put my timing thingy through my laces correctly and failed miserably to attach my number to my vest using the Striders pinless number fasteners. I must have been in a world of my own while driving along the Coast Road and so I missed the turn-off for the A19, which resulted in a trip through some of the less salubrious parts of North Shields. When I finally arrived at the Parks Leisure Centre the parking people were, to put it politely, making a bit of a dog’s breakfast of getting everyone parked. But I was in plenty of time and, as you all know, I’m not one to moan (!), so I braved the lengthy toilet queues and then the freezing cold and went for a warm-up jog round Chirton Dene Park.

There didn’t appear to be any other Striders present, or indeed anyone I knew at all, but then I bumped into my optician (I must remember to make an appointment). She too claimed to be totally unprepared for the race, which was reassuring to hear. Eventually 10 o’clock came round and, having placed myself near the back of the waiting runners, I strolled to the starting line and set off. After about 50 yards, there was a loud crash from behind me as a woman collided with a traffic bollard (I think like most people she couldn’t decide which way to go round the first roundabout). She wasn’t hurt and we pressed on. By the time we reached the part of the course that runs along the Tyne towards the Fish Quay I actually started to enjoy the race, although that may have been because of the following wind and the scenery. I just about made it up the hill to Tynemouth Priory without stopping and managed to ignore the smell of fish and chips wafting along from Marshalls (do people actually eat fish and chips at 10.15 on a Sunday morning?)

From Cullercoats to Whitley Bay the wind was more noticeable and I was pleased that I had remembered my gloves. This part of the route follows the Promenade and there were a good number of people watching and cheering runners on. One even shouted “Come on Stocksfield”, which was encouraging. There was another faller beside me just before Spanish City but once again the runner was uninjured and carried on. Suddenly St Mary’s Lighthouse was only 200 yards away and I attempted a bit of a sprint finish. I crossed the line with a time of 37 seconds over the hour – a much better result than I had I expected.

After collecting some water and my goody bag (a nice T-shirt and some running socks) I eventually found my bag and came across Angela Marshall and Karen Stewart amongst the 2,000 runners milling around. Then, after a rather chilly wait, we were taken by minibus back to the start.Seven weeks to the Blaydon race, so on my to-do list are: buy safety pins, practise tying laces, go to Striders more often and get some training in!

Run Northumberland Big 10 - Author: Lyn Brown

Having received a better offer of a weekend in Edinburgh the weekend of the Brampton to Carlisle 10 mile race I looked around for something else and found the Run Northumberland Big 10. 

Ian also decided to run it and Ross, our son, announced he was coming to Stocksfield that weekend so he said he would run as well despite not being a runner, but is generally fit through other sporting activities.
We arrived at Kirkley Hall to find the registration a bit disorganised but everything else was fine with marshals at all points where they were needed and water stations every three miles. 

The course was undulating but no big hills and it passed through some very pretty countryside so all in all made for quite a pleasant 10 miles.

I completed the race in 85 minutes and was first lady over 55 so won a prize! Ian and Ross ran together and completed in 73 minutes.  All finishers received a More Mile technical t-shirt in a distinctive green colour!
This was the first running of the Big 10 and hopefully it will be a regular feature in the race calendar although it is apparently in the thick of the cross country season.

David Leat’s Autumn Runs
Since the start of September I have done 4 races:

1st September: The Fosters Law Kent Coastal Marathon:
I entered this race because my brother lives fairly close and I was due to visit him and I have been wondering whether I could do better than in the Manchester Marathon last year when I hit the wall at 22 miles and meandered, strolled and shuffled the last 4 miles with help from the crowd. 
The course was flattish, starting and finishing to the east of Margate, and was never more than a half mile from the sea and nearly half was on the promenade.  It was not too hot as there was a fresh, verging on stiff NW breeze.

My two resolutions to avoid the wall were – firstly run my own race, forget about times and just do a pace that seemed comfortable for the distance, and secondly drink lots and use gels. So I ate a Mars Bar on the start line, consumed 5 gels, 7 ‘power shots’ and various jelly babies offered by kind onlookers,  and took water on at all but one water
station.  I did the first half in just under 1.39. and then just plodded on and although I was fairly sore from 20
miles I never hit the wall and passed about 10 people in the last 6 miles, some walking.  I was very glad to see the
finish and thought I was seeing things when the clock showed 3.29. so the second half took 1.50.  I think I was the
third 60+.

15th September: Great North Run
I cannot say that this is my favourite race, the big field and dual carriageway course make it a test of endurance, but I appreciate the big cheering crowds, being able to run at all, the kind people who sponsor me (my MyDonate page is still open) and the finish.  This year I beat our charity photographer to the finish (and he was on the Metro!) so there was no photo of me at the end.  I was just over 1.35.  In 4 out of the last 5 years my time has been between 1.34.45 and 1.35.50.  Consistent or one-paced?

29th September: Macclesfield Half Marathon
My eldest daughter lives in Cheshire and this was a good chance to see our granddaughter and tune up for the following weekend.  The course was mainly rural, fairly affluent (footballer territory) and decidedly hilly – there was a very long hill at
about 10.5 miles that went on and on, which does slow you down.  I just failed to catch a real old bloke on the run-in, Jim from Shetland who was 65+. I found out later that I had a faster chip time at 1.37!  There was no medal and I had the first signs of a cold by the evening, so I was not thrilled by this race.

6th October: Chester Marathon
The cold did not shift and on Saturday morning I accepted defeat and told my wife that I was not fit to run.  On Saturday afternoon a friend took me to see my team, Crystal Palace, play at Liverpool. 2 goals down after 16 minutes and 3-0 at half time, but strangely just the sight of them had a purging effect and I felt much better by the final whistle.  They even scored and 3-1 felt like a victory and by the evening I thought I could run.  The race starts at the race course and goes out mainly to the west into Wales.  I felt very good and as with the Kent Coastal Marathon I took gels and water whenever possible, and although I started with the 4 hour pace runner I did a lot of overtaking.  Just over 3000 started. At 10K I was 1015th, at 20K up to 980th, at 30K 789th (plenty walking by now), at 40K a giddy 606th and 604th at the finish in a chip time of 3.33.29.  I struggled the last 4 miles but managed to keep running.  Wife Sally, youngest daughter, Naomi and training partner dog (Maddy) were at the finish and it felt like Christmas.   Naomi told me that on the run-in the PA announced ‘Here comes David Leat from Stocksfield Striders’ – that would have been a proud moment, but somehow I missed it!  Chester Marathon gets a big tick from me – well organised, excellent route, good timing information, medal and long sleeve running top.

I will do the Jedburgh Half Marathon and perhaps one more to complete my autumn series of races.  My logic has been, once you get race fit, it is a pity to waste it – unless you get an injury!

Sunderland and Sheffield Half Marathons

Author: David Leat

I am trying to do 8 half marathons and 2 marathons this year– we will see.  Sunderland (Half Marathon
of the North) on the 28th April and Sheffield on the 11thMay were the second and third of the year. 
Sunderland was cold and windy as we lined up and I could not bear to throw away my old jumper – I ended up with it tied round my waist so that I could put it back on at the finish.  I enjoyed the race and did not fade in the last 3 miles as I often do, as I had got the training right this time.  It was a real lift to see Ruth in the crowd and hearing her supportive shout.  My running app gave me a time of roughly 1.35.30. but I was very disheartened to find that my official chip time was

1.36.41 – which was the same as my race time. This means in effect I had started right at the front, but in fact I had
started right at the back to take advantage of the shelter of all the bodies from the wind.  Does it matter – 70
seconds or so – well of course it does! Happily they corrected it later. 
I was very pleased to get a letter about a week later with £50 of vouchers for Start Fitness, as I was the first over 60 to finish.  It pays to hang around.
 Of course as you will probably have seen in the press there was a significant embarrassment for the organisers as only one person ran the full half and full marathon distance and the times don’t officially count.  I am counting mine as in my
distorted logic it makes up for the Moray half marathon which was 13.24 miles by my app.

The attraction of Sheffield was that my youngest daughter lives there and she and her husband both signed up to run – it was Doug’s first half marathon and Naomi’s second.  It was another windy and fairly cool race and I did not feel as comfortable, but I did really push myself over the last 4 miles and gained a net 20 places including a
genuine sprint finish (or so it seemed to me, my wife tells another story).  This time I was under 1.35. at
1.34.31. (574th place out of 6000+) which is very exciting, the benchmark of a really good race time for me.  Naomi
and Doug did PBs (easy in Doug’s case) – see picture of our smiling trio. As you run up to Hunters Bar you see the
leading runners coming down and I had two thoughts – firstly how do those really fast guys keep up the pace, are they human (?) and secondly where there are any old guys ahead of me?  I saw about 4, but happily only one of them was the genuine article and I was second in the over 60s.  This time I got a £25 voucher – to be spent in a Sheffield running shop by August!  Naomi is going to get another visit from her dad fairly soon.
I always wear my Striders top with pride and it was a real buzz at about 10 miles when a lady
shouted out ‘Come on Stocksfield Striders’ – I waved enthusiastically.

My other planned half marathons are Isle of Wight (August -
holiday), Great North Run and Macclesfield (September), Jedburgh (October) and
Clowne in Derbyshire (November), but only if I stay fit.  The marathons are Kent Coastal (September)
and Kielder (October) – fingers crossed.

'Pain Barrier 10K Frickley, Saturday 13th April

Author: David Leat

I signed up to this as it is near where my daughter lives - and it
boasted to be the toughest 10K around. Lots of mud, water, hills and water, but
after a very dry month I thought it would be fairly toothless. As a consequence
I carried my iPhone for the running app and my car keys - big mistake. 
There were two big clues that I lacked wisdom - the frequent announcements
suggesting that car keys be left on the table and the fact there 20 men dressed
as Spartan soldiers on a stag do.  Nice setting though.

The first mile was fine  - about 8 minutes and only a bit uneven and the odd puddle.  Then we passed into the open cast mining site
and it began to get tougher, 10 zigzags up and down a steep slope with ruts and gullies.  After the last down slope there was a cheering crowd on the far side of a very muddy 'pond'.  Stretched across the pond was a rope and people in front of me were using it to haul themselves across - chest deep.  As one hand held my phone I only had one hand for the rope.
There followed one rope haul up a slippery bank, another 25 water obstacles from knee to waist deep full of sticky sucking mud, 70 metres through a tunnel with a stream under a railway embankment and some vicious brambles.  I saw 3 people go full length in the water after losing their footing. One resorted to breast stroke which showed imagination and is probably within the rules. The worst thing was running in slippery shoes full of stones and grit from the puddles Anyway my half marathon training paid off and I finished quite strongly managing a sort of sprint to the line, trying to keep the grit abrasion on my toes within tolerable limits.  I slithered up to the people taking off the chip timers - but alas mine was gone, lost somewhere in the oceans of mud.  I collared the next chap in and noted his number and asked if they could enter me manually, but so far no sign of me in the results.  So if you believe me my time was 1hr 10 mins and I was 43rd out of 341, but of course I could be making it all up.  Further proof of my efforts are my shredded socks which will have to be retired. I still have my Phone - although I am still fishing bits of grit
out of the charger port.  With luck there are 3 photos on it.  I also hung on grimly to my car key.  There is no changing on the site so I put my fleece on the car seat to drive away.  I stopped off at a friend's house on the way home for a bucket of warm water to get the worst off before visiting the shower. 
Sort of day that lives in the memory - I thoroughly recommend it. Sure beats going to the Metro Centre'

North Tyneside 10k Sunday 31st March 2013

Author: Catherine Hall

I have never run the North Tyneside 10K before, but lots of people had recommended it to me as a “must do” race – and in particular, people
had commented that there was an excellent goody bag at the end. So, never one to turn down the prospect of free stuff, Jonny, Ruth and I found ourselves on the start line on a very cold (but at least not rainy (or snowy!)) Easter Sunday. 
The race was good fun, with a nice downhill near the start, and only one significant hill (up to Tynemouth Priory), which was then followed by a very scenic run along the coast towards Whitley Bay Lighthouse, and the finish. I imagine it would have been much tougher if it was windy! 
All three of us smashed previous PBs  (notably Jonny running in 42.55!), and this definitely justified the scoffing of Easter eggs later.
PS. The goody bag did live up to expectations – t-shirt, socks and water bottle

Northumberland Half Marathon Sunday 10th March 2013

Author: Ruth Whiteside, Frightened of Stocksfield Striders
Well, what can I say? It started snowing when I left the house, and by the time I arrived at the coach pick-up point, it was a white-out! Lines of shivering runners waited in the blizzard for the bus. I hesitated. Should I just go home? After all, who in their right mind would contemplate a half marathon in these conditions?
 So I stayed and joined the bus queue. If nothing else, it gave us all something to talk about other than the usual running banter. And whaddya know, by the time we arrived at Kirkley Hall, the sun was out, the snow was melting and we were off!
 Words to describe the course: cold, windy, just a tad boring. Every time I tried to take a peek over the hedges, the bitter wind took half an ear off. So I was resigned to keeping my head down and staring at the tarmac as my legs ate up the miles at a relatively splendid pace. 
 By the time I hit mile 10, I was beginning to feel it. A fellow runner handed me a bag of jelly babies as she flew past me, clearly recognising someone in need. Just the ticket, and I managed to pick up the pace and turn into the home straight…..yup, straight into a head wind and horizontal hail. I ran for a while with a young lad who was manfully struggling on in spite of wearing heavy trackies, a hoodie and a pair of Converse on his feet. As a dedicated rower for the university boat crew, he didn’t think he’d need to do any training for a half marathon. He practically wept as he told me this. I kept a straight face and told him to man up J No, not really. I was very sympathetic, and then left him to it, and picked up my tired feet for the last half mile or so.
 Things I learnt during that race: I much prefer running with a buddy or two; thirteen miles of constant road running is hard on the feet; Lucozade carbo gels are disgusting but effective.
 Personal records I achieved during that race: fastest mile, fastest 5k, fastest 10k, fastest half marathon J I aimed for ten minute miles, and got them (mostly!)
 Just the North Tyneside 10k now before the London Marathon…….I think the word I’m looking for here is ‘AAARRRGGGHHH!!’

Jedburgh Half Marathon - 28th October 2012 - David Leat
Gibside Fruit Bowl - 21st October 2012 - Ruth Whiteside
Hellhole 10k - 14th October 2012 - Ruth Whiteside
Great North Run - 16th September 2012 - Ruth Whiteside
Moray Half Marathon - 2nd September 2012 - David Leat
Isle of Coll Half Marathon - 18th August 2012 - Ruth Whiteside
Prudhoe Miners Race - 15th July 2012 - Philip Hindmarsh
Weetslade Relay - 27th June 2012 - Phil Sturgess
Blaydon Race - 9th June 2012 - Philip Hindmarsh
Gibside 5 Fun Run - 22nd April 2012 - Katharine Russell
Cragside 10k - 14th April 2012 - Philip Hindmarsh
Carnethy 5 Fell Race - 11th February 2012 - Kim Taylor
Brass Monkey Half Marathon - 22nd January 2012 - David Leat
Brampton to Carlisle 10 Mile Road Race  16th November 2011 - Lyn Brown
Kielder 10k - 8th October 2011 - Jo Mitchell
Kielder Marathon 9th October 2011 - Philip Hindmarsh
Great Cumbrian Hellhole! - 2nd/9th October 2011 - David Reed
Great North Run 18th September 2011 - Julie Stoves Robson
Tynedale Jelly Tea 10 Mile Road Race - 4th September 2011 - Julian Bates
Northumberland Coastal Run - 17th July 2011 - Deane Graham
Tynedale 10k - 6th July 2011 - David Reed
Newburn River Run - 23rd June 2011 - Philip Hindmarsh
Blaydon Race - 9th June 2011 - Linda Holmes
Raby Castle 10k - 29th May 2011 - Paul Watson
George Ogle 10k - 23rd May 2011 - Claire Adamson
Pier to Pier - 22nd May 2011 - Philip Hindmarsh
Edinburgh Half Marathon - 22nd May 2011 - Lyn Brown
North Tyneside 10k - 24th April 2011 - Julian Bates
Blyth Valley 10k - 3rd April 2011 - Linda Holmes
Paris Half Marathon - 6th March 2011 - Andrew Moore
Brass Monkey Half Marathon - 23rd January 2011 - David Reed
Great Winter Run - 8th January 2011 - Katharine Russell
Resolution Run - 1st January 2011 - Lyn Brown
Gibside Fruit Bowl 6 Mile Race 7th November 2010 - David Reed
Kielder Marathon - 17th October 2010 - Claire Collinson
Hellhole 10k - 10th October 2010 - Elissa Spoors
Great North Run - 19th September 2010 - Julian Bates and Lesley Richardson
Wallington 10k - 12th September 2010 - David Reed
Tynedale Jelly Tea 10 Mile Road Race - 5th September 2010 - Claire Collinson
Morpeth 10k  - 3rd August 2010 - Lyn Brown
Great North 10k - 18th July 2010 - Sally Hails
Northumberland Coastal Run 18th July 2010 - David Reed
Tynedale 10k - 7th July 2010 - Deane Graham
Wylam Fair "Fun" Run - 26th June 2010 - Richard Jolly
Newburn River Run - 23rd June 2010 - Claire Collinson
Blaydon Race  - 9th June 2010 - Julian Bates
Raby Castle 10k - 30th May 2010 - David Reed
Pier to Pier - 17th May 2010 - David Reed
London Marathon - 25th April 2010 - Claire Collinson
Paris Marathon - 11th April 2010 - Lesley Richardson
Sand Dancer 10k - 11th April 2010 - Jill Robertson
North Tyneside 10k - 4th April 2010 - Julian Bates
Arkendale 10k - 29th March 2010 - Lesley Reed
Paris Half Marathon - 7th March 2010 - David Reed
Brass Monkey Half Marathon - 24th January 2010 - Claire Collinson
First Newcastle parkrun - 16th January 2010 - Lesley Reed
Town Moor Memorial 10k - 8th November 2009 - David Reed
Gibside Fruit Bowl 7 - 1st November 2009 - Kim Taylor